Happiness #27 : Progress

5:59 PM 1 Comments A+ a-

SO. i have learned a valuable lesson in the past couple of days.... I HAVE BEEN DOING IT ALL WRONG!!! You see, i went onto some watercolor websites that teach you how to do this and that and blah blah blah.. but nobody said you have to WET the paper first!!! ok, well that's not absolutely necessary but still it suddenly made using the stupid paints so much easier! plus a youtube video or two didn't hurt the learning process~

On another note, I have decided to change my strategy... it's not about the scenery it's all about the people! portraits is where it's at everyone... well maybe for me because landscape painting is just so difficult! Think about it, if you draw a landscape and it sucks monkey balls, then you just have a mess of colors and a shoddy explanation.  but with portraits, you stick two little circles near the top, a long "L" in the middle, a horizontal oval near the bottom and voila! a roughly recognizable face!! observe:
Specimen A
A face, no?  Clearly a terrifying depiction of a person... is it male, is it female, does it even matter? After all, clowns have no gender.... so i hear.  The point is, faces are recognizable in anything that is partially symmetrical with what seems to be eyes and a mouth on an oval plain.  That's because people are egomaniacs as a species and we try to make sense of nonsense with our anthropocentric little brains.... Anyhow, Specimen A was in fact, not meant to be a clown.  but partway after laying down the skin color I began to realize that i was going back to how I paint with other paints and declared this one a botched attempt.

The second time around I became a bit more clever heh heh.. I decided to stray away from human tones to keep on track with the style of watercolor as opposed to an exact recreation of a human face.  the best thing about it though, is that at the end of the day, if Specimen B turns out even worse than Specimen A, I can always proclaim abstractness and stick up my nose at those who are too artistically challenged to understand what I was trying to do...
Specimen B
Luckily it didn't turn out like mashed up poop.  Yay for me!! I'm going to work on facial proportions and try again tomorrow.

Oh, and YES. the chocolate cake was AWESOME!!!


1 comments:

Write comments