Ice Ice Baby~

8:05 PM 6 Comments A+ a-

My brother posed a genius question that I'm sure there is a genius answer for.... I'm just not genius enough to know what the solution is (sad).  For anybody who is cool enough to be so scientifically inclined and nice enough to tell, please enlighten me- I would love to solve this mystery for my lovable big brother!

Question: If science could invent the microwave to heat/melt things in a fraction of the time of good ol' stove top cooking, how come there hasn't been something invented that can freeze inconveniently warm bottles of water/juice/soda in a fraction of the time of lame freezers?

My hesitant probative guess would be that it has something to do with freezing point/boiling point of water? maybe it's quicker to boil water than freeze? Ugh I dunno. Dumb molecules of life!!! there's a reason why my grades for Bio were never great- even the second time I took it! and my grades for Chem reflected a similar sad state when I became a graduate of higher education (double sad).

Guesses anyone? Or even better, Answers anyone??

6 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
August 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM delete

You might have learned in grade school that the universe always becomes more disorganized. The temperature we usually think of is related to a disorganized energy in an object. If we want to heat an object, then, the universe becomes more disorganized, and no one cares. If we want to cool it, there must be a compensating disorganization somewhere else in the universe to compensate. We might expect these processes to be more elaborate, or at least that there is something different between the two.

As to why the universe becomes more disorganized, you might try explaining it by pushing up your glasses, frowning, waving your free hand and say,"Statistics." And you wouldn't be wrong.

Or you could say things happen faster when there's more energy around, but that's probably wrong, but it sounds kind of believable. Or you could look smug and tell them "I'm not a historian" and/or "I'm too lazy to crunch the numbers", but someone might believe you could get the answer if you sat down for a minute and that you're better than historians or people who work, which is good for a quick high.

Reply
avatar
SooJangles
AUTHOR
August 6, 2011 at 1:03 AM delete

but i don't smoke marijuana....

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
August 6, 2011 at 11:23 PM delete

Exactly why you refused to say something normal like "Haha maybe" or "That's not convincing", and instead chose to zero in on "quick high". Unless you meant to say you recently quit.

Reply
avatar
SooJangles
AUTHOR
August 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM delete

Well, that's not convincing...

Reply
avatar