Lottery or Paycheck?

2:06 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Sitting at work I came across one of my favorite songs for the first time in a long while. One of the lines rang out from the song and got me thinking. It wasn't the first time this line struck me but today I really began to consider what the words would entail beyond just thinking that the line is really sweet...

He sings:
so if you want to be with me
with these things there's no telling
we just have to wait and see
but i'd rather be working for a paycheck
than waiting to win the lottery

Most of the time I agree. Relationships are hard and I am one to believe that it's better to work at a relationship that you have and try to make it great than wait around hoping for perfect to come along. And aside from relationships I believe in working at something to get what you want instead of sitting around hoping it will happen. I definitely believe in making things happen for yourself when it comes to everything to do with you as an individual. Nobody is out to get you but nobody is out the help you either if you're just sitting around expectantly. But in relationships? A relationship is something that can have you working really hard to end up with a check that really wasn't worth the hours. A relationship is also something that can come out of nowhere and out of the most unexpected chance meeting to reward you with a life full of a happiness you couldn't even imagine before it happened. Which one is better? Sometimes you hold onto something believing that the check will be worth it and pass up the opportunity to spend one dollar on a lotto ticket. Sometimes you spend every waking moment, every possible expendable dollar on lotto tickets when diligence and patience would have rewarded you beyond belief. Suddenly I'm not so sure if I agree with the song. It still touches my heart as a quaint ideal but I no longer believe it is the preferred option. Hmm.