Books update

12:11 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

I've been reading. Yes I know how, jackass.

I've gone to my Ultimate Reading List and crossed off:
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Old Man and the Sea

Wow... I'm only about 80 books behind schedule. Woot woot!

Ok well technically I've read other books, but they aren't on the list so...
Normally I stay away from bestseller books because I like to see if they withstand the "5 year test" that I just made up right now.  Basically, if people are still talking about it 5 years after it hits bestseller list, then it's worth a look. Otherwise, it's just a trend and people, you know I'm on a time crunch here with this list! However, I watched the movie "The Help" as I'm sure you all have, and I liked it so much I went back to read the book.  Excellent choice, if I may say so about myself. I really enjoyed the book. I do not discriminate when I choose to laugh out loud when reading a book, and I laughed a lot when I read "The Help."

The Time Traveler's Wife was a little more involved for me. I kept getting the scrunch between my eyebrows when I would come across something that seemed a little screwy. I will say that the book was really enjoyable and I was just being a pain in the ass by picking out holes in the physics of it all. However it was waaaay more clever than any book I ever came up with so who am I to talk.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was awesome. Whole series. And I even read the extra stories in the huge definitive not definitive edition. At times I thought it would never end... but not because it wasn't good. Because it was literally a million pages long. So creative!

The Old Man and the Sea came unexpectedly into my hands for reading last week. While I've had it for months, it had been sitting up on my shelf completely neglected amongst other more enticingly covered books. Whores. I randomly reached for it one day and it reminded why I love books so much. Whole WORLDS inside two thin covers and a few pieces of mashed up pulverized and pressed butchered trees. This book made me think about life. In particular, my own life at this moment and what could come.

Right now I'm reading Tina Fey's "Bossypants" and am completely amazed. Why didn't I live this life? Why don't I live it starting now!? No, because it's not my life. Not that my life is not adequate, it's just not so far along that I've got a book written about it already. BALLS!