Let's go to the Movies!

11:54 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

Movies are coming back into my life in full force. A couple from recommendation, a couple from a long line of netflix dvds waiting to be discharged, and a couple weekend flicks to hang out with new and not so new friends.

Of course, watching movies means not doing other things so my garden work is slowing down, my physical fitness schedule is non-existent, I'm pretty much doing absolutely nothing productive other than spending time with people and in my own head. Which is pretty productive actually, just not in a way you can see it visibly.

Researching some movie or other the trailer for Blue Jasmine came up. I love Cate Blanchett. The movie is directed by Woody Allen and truthfully, while I'd heard the name a bunch of times, I'd never really associated name with any particular movie other than that he has directed a lot. For some reason directorial info has started to stick in my brain more than the usual "it was directed... by someone i'm sure..." as it once did with my slight infatuation with Sidney Lumet.




check my little gold man bitchessssss~
 
 
 
 
"hey hey! you!  quit that shit. quit. that. shit." 



what a badass director. There was a time when Sean Connery guffawed on my blog. Well this would be Lumet guffawing at Connery. that's how bad ass he is.





"did someone say badass? yes, that would be me.. yes. guffaw."



I had just finished reading his book "Making Movies" on his experiences becoming the most successful director of his time and still. "Master of Cinema" says IMDB and I would agree. If you read "Making Movies" you'll be completely absorbed by the reasons for his direction, for his choice in camera angling, for the lighting compensation.





mmm yeah work that angle....




 But really, he was a master of getting actors to do what they're supposed to do- follow his direction.




many times that required encouragement like:
"you really ARE the best looking guy on this set. really. look at me-
look at me! I want you to focus now... no don't look away. the best. i mean it"




the things i have to do around here.





I'd read the book immediately before the Black Period i went through a couple of years ago so that by the time i sank into mental and emotional oblivion, i was ready to sit and absorb all of his movies in one fell, greasy, starving, smelly, bed-ridden swoop. And watch I did. 12 Angry Men; Long Day's Journey into Night; Murder on the Orient Express; Dog Day Afternoon; Network. then the love story bug bit and i switched gears for movies before I got to Serpico or The Verdict or some of his other stuff...

Anyhow the love story bug is back... a little loopy from some dope I'd wager. The next director I think I'd like to get into is Woody Allen. I've already got a head start based on his filmography but the kick off for actively checking some films off will be.....